Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rohan Wealleans



Rohan Wealleans is an artist based in Auckland. I went to his latest exhibition opening at Ivan Anthony Gallery on K road and asked him a few questions.

(And, Of course, took photos.)


When Did you know you wanted to be an artist?

When I was Very Young. I copied a picture of the spaceman on the spaceman candy sticks, it was quite good. That's when I knew.


What's a day at work for you?

It changes everyday. Playing at the studio, putting paint on things, cutting paint off things, cutting paint. Emailing. Trying to find people to exploit. Figuring out how to move large objects.








What countries have you exhibited in?

New Zealand, Australia, England (London), Italy, China, Brazil (Sao Paolo) and America.


You work with paint, but do you see yourself as a painter, or more of a sculptor?

Painter, but my paintings aren't usually flat.


Who/What are your main influences?

Yves Klein

Movies

Can be anything really.


Who was your favourite high school teacher?

Probably my art teacher at Gisborne Boy's High.


When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Architect,

Spaceman.


If you were an animal, what animal would you be?

A fantail.

They can fly really fast and do really sharp turns.


What do you have to say to the followers of this blog?

Flip it, Rip it and Dip it.




No comments:

Post a Comment